Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Warm My Heart...

So lately I've been on this kick that Struan and I really need to have date night once a week. For some reason for the last few months we have just settled on cooking a frozen pizza, and watching a movie. While that is great every once in a while, every Friday gets a little boring! At first I thought I would be subtle, but with men I have found you can't be subtle. You have to just be blunt. :) So after weeks of trying to hint to him that I think we need to get more creative with our dates, I finally just came out and told him. I also knew that it wouldn't be enough just telling him, I would have to do some research and give him some ideas. Luckily there are some great sites out there to give you ideas! I printed off quite a few that I thought he and I could both enjoy. I told him that for our first creative date, it could be his turn first. (After thinking this through I have to admit I was getting a little nervous, maybe I threw him to the wolves to soon and should have gone first!) 

By Thursday I was getting pretty antsy to see what he had in store for us. He and I are both HORRIBLE secret keepers, but I did inform him that I didn't want to know what we were doing so for the most part he did a pretty fantastic job in keeping things from me. I was also getting a little curious because Struan hadn't officially asked me yet. (Yes, I know I was probably asking to much but what's the saying "Go big or Go Home right!?)  I kept hinting that I was probably going to be busy Friday night, but that he may still have a chance if he asked me soon. Friday morning he decided to ask me, here's the conversation...

Struan: Makala will you go on a date with me tonight?
Makala: No, you have to ask me in a cute way
Struan: REALLY Makala Really!? This isn't highschool!
Makala: Struan I want to be wooed!!!!

Out the door went Struan (ok, I should have been accepting of his offer but really? I wanted to be wooed!) I may be a married mom, but I'm not old yet!! Give me some sort of romance! 

About 5 minutes later I recieved this cute text message! Although I had to do some coaxing I have to admit that he came up with such a cute way to ask me!! 
Ok, so I have to admit that this cute little text message really gave me the butterflies!! (P.S. Yes, I know his text spoiled the surprise for the date.) Nevertheless, I was still EXCITED!!

Struan came home from work and watched Adeline while I insisted that I get ready for our date! I wanted to look good, even if we were just staying in!

After that, Struan started our dinner! I was so excited because I have to admit I've never eaten a tinfoil dinner before (insert blush here) Here's my manly man starting the fire in our new fire pit he worked hard on this summer! I LOVE it! 
Yes, this little munckin was on our date for a little while, but we are lucky enough that she goes to bed at about 6:30 or 7 pm each night so we can have some "us" time as well. 

Here's our yummy dinners in the fire! Struan taught me a great tip when making tin foil dinners. Buy food that is already pre cooked so you don't have to worry about getting sick!! I love that idea! So for dinner he made Chicken Alfredo with Bacon and Mac and Cheese! YUM! He knows I love pasta, so I'm guessing that's why we had two types! He's more of a meat and potatoes man! 
After dinner, and putting Adeline to bed. Struan pulled out

for us to watch! He has never seen the original so I think that he really enjoyed it. I kept in mind that it was never going to be as good as the original and with that in mind I actually enjoyed the movie. I guess it also helps that I haven't seen the original since I was probably in Jr. High, so that helped quite a bit in the memory department.

Next we went out again to the backyard and cooked up some yummy s'mores!! It was there that I learned that Struan had cooked s'mores before but had actually never eaten one!! WHAT!? I seriously considered that an American tragedy! So I decided that we had to capture the moment of his first bite!
He actually admitted they weren't as bad as he thought! For someone who doesn't like Hershey's chocolate and marshmallows, he enjoyed it! I do have to admit we substituted the Hershey's for a Carmello which I'm sure was much better! 

So here I thought the date was ending, but in fact Struan had one more thing up his sleeve!! He pulled the truck around to the front of the house, and instructed me that I wasn't to look in the back. He then grabbed our sleeping Adeline out of her crib and buckled her in her carseat. Away we went, with me having no idea what was going on. He then drove out of town about 12 miles and into what seems to be the only patch of trees in North Dakota (ok I exaggerate but North Dakota is way different than the beautiful mountains of Idaho) We then stopped, and I was told to get out. I went to the bed of the truck where Struan had put our guest bedroom mattress in the back. He then brought a ton of blankets out of the truck for us to snuggle up under. So with Adeline in the backseat of the truck, Struan and I were able to go star gazing! How sweet is he!? It was so much fun! We were able to lay under the stars and talk for a while.


My hubby really out did himself!! I had such a great time being able to spend quality time with him. He was such a sweetheart planning this date, and putting up with all my demands!! I'm hoping that we can keep having fun dates like this. My turn is the next week, and let's just say I'm soooo excited!!! I already have it planned out and can't wait to share it with my hubby! I didn't realize how hard it is to keep it a secret!!!

Challenge: Plan something special for the one you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.