Well I was hoping that this next post would be the presentation of my latest project, but sadly its not! :( I promise it will be coming soon though! :)
The reason I didn't finish my project is because yesterday Struan, Adeline, and I trekked to Fargo to pick up some equipment for Midwest Milling (the grain elevator)
We went and did our errands for the day then we started heading home. As we came into Minot it was definitely a strange feeling. We had two semi's that passed us carrying sandbags to help save the city. I was very impressed with how kind the other drivers were to let the semi's pass through.
Struan also pointed out to me how quiet Broadway was. ( They had closed it to emergency use only)Their have been many times I try to avoid Broadway as much as possible, I will find anyway so that I don't have to make a left turn. Guess that's just the old lady in me. This street is ALWAYS busy! For those of you who don't know Broadway is one of Minot's main roads. Its like Yellowstone in Pocatello. Can you imagine not seeing any cars on Yellowstone?
Minot right now is fighting to save some of their bridges, if they don't succeed Minot will be split in half no question about it. There will be a North and a South and no way to get between the two. Many houses have been swallowed up by the mighty Mouse River. I have been very impressed with how well everyone had banded together to fight to save Minot and it's surrounding areas! Everytime I get on Facebook there are hundreds of posts of people asking where they can go to help. They are willing to move people, donate time and food, and anything else you can think of just to help out a community member.
For those of you who are confused or worried, Struan, Adeline, and I are safe! We lived in Minot for 7 months and the week after Adeline was born we bought our house and moved.We live in Stanley which is 50 miles from Minot. We still do all our shopping and errands there.We also have quite a few friends in Minot who have been evacuated due to the flood. It's heartbreaking to hear how they had to leave their homes behind to not know what they will look like when they come back!
This is just the beginning of what's ahead of Ward County. Not only with flooding but with cleaning up the city. There will be lots of rebuilding. I hope to be able to help as much as I possibly can!
I am very impressed with the great people of North Dakota. Before moving here I had always heard how nice they were now I can 100% say I agree! They are so willing to go out of their way to help one another, and I find this remarkable. They are a group of people who won't give up and have found a way to find a silver lining in such a disaster.
Growing up in Idaho I had never witnessed such tragedy. I have definitely seen how powerful Mother Nature can be. However, I have also seen how strong and resilient people can be. This past week my heart has been breaking for the people affected at this time.I hope we can all keep these people in our thoughts and prayers!
Here are a few pictures:




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.