Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Don't Get Discouraged!

I stumbled upon this quote today and just would like to share: 



Isn't this so true? In more than one way?
How many times have we been given keys to unlock something and we try so many different ones only to have it be the last one on the ring? 

Life is like that in many ways there are many times when life can knock us down,or just throw us for a loop. What we do when that happens is everything. We can choose to stay down or we can find a "key" in helping us overcome the door in our way.

Elder F. Melvin Hammond told a story of when he was younger working for the railroad. One of his jobs was to crawl through a culvert to tear away a beaver dam so water could flow freely. Every morning as they would do their daily inspection they could see the beavers had started rebuilding their dam. He went on to say that no matter how many times he destroyed the dam, the beavers never seemed discouraged but steadily kept at their task. 

We need to be like the beavers and not be discouraged, especially about things we cannot control. Many times we worry ourselves sick about things that we have no power to change. An example that I can think of right now it the flooding in Minot. Nobody has control over Mother Nature and as heart breaking as it is, the people of Minot cannot be discouraged and dwell on what has happened. (They are doing a great job at that might I add) They are all so positive and ready for when the time comes to rebuild the city. 

I hope that when storms occur in my life that I can try to remember that being discouraged can keep me down. I need to dust myself off and try all the "keys" I posses to insure that I find the door to get me out of my predicament. If I don't I will be stuck. 

I can remember in highschool the principal giving me his keyring to open a door for an activity (I swear there were hundreds) He didn't have time to show me which key it was so I was on my own. I tried every key, at least I thought I had, and nothing. I even recruited some of my friends to help. Still nothing. There had been a few keys we had passed 100% sure that they could never be the right one. Of course we finally tried them just for the heck of it. Of course the last key, the one we knew wouldn't work, opened the door. How many times in our lives do we think that an idea we come up with will never be the solution? Maybe if we dont disregard an idea we have we will save ourselves some heartache. 




I really need to work on not letting life get me so down. I have so many things to be thankful for, and it seems that I let the things I can't control knock me down. Starting today I'm going to be more aware and live more positively.   








**Side Note** Please disregard typo's halfway through Adeline got fussy so Ive been typing one handed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.