During the week Struan and I were talking and I had learned he had never seen the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I was SHOCKED, I'm pretty sure that is a sin! For those of you that haven't seen it, shame on you!! This is one of the best movies EVER!! No but really its a classic. Since I heard that I knew we had to have a date based around the movie. That's where I got the idea for an 80's date night.
Originally I had planned to have us dress up, but looking in our closets I realized we really didn't have anything 80s and I didn't want us to come off as posers. So we were lame and stayed in our comfy clothes!
To kick off our night, I downloaded a want to be Simon game on my iPad. We had a pretty good time trying to master the game. Let's just say Struan is WAY better at it than I am, I blame it on having two kids!
After a few rounds of Simon we moved on to 80s trivia. There are quite a few free apps you can find in the App store. Struan and I definitely aren't children of the 80s, we did OK on the music but when it came to television lets just say we were AWFUL!! I thought he would want to quit after a while but he was a trooper and stuck it out with me til the end.
Next we learned some sweet 80's Dance Moves (ok some were not so sweet) and then watched 80's commercials on YouTube. We had a pretty good laugh at them. If you ever have a chance to check them out I recommend it. I'm thinking we are going to have to have a 90s date in the near future since that would be from when we were little. It was nice to be able to laugh and joke about how things have come so far since then.
Yes we even learned the Q-Tip on our quest to be awesome 80s dancers!
Finally it was time to expose my husband to the awesomeness of Ferris Bueller's Day Off (who we have decided reminds us a lot of my little brother Ryan, but that's a different story) I forgot how many great lessons are in this movie. My favorite quote has to be, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and
look around once in a while, you could miss it." What a fantastic quote!! This was something Struan and I definitely needed to hear. Life does move fast and sometimes we forget to stop and enjoy the journey along the way. Our kids aren't going to be little forever and we need to enjoy everything about them. Even when it can be overwhelming and stressful at times.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to spend quality time with my husband. Its so nice to be able to forget the things going on around us, and to just be able to let go and laugh with each other. Date night can be so tough when you have little ones, but I recommend trying your hardest to find the time. Our dates aren't anything fancy, but they don't have to be. The main thing is that you reconnect and are able to just enjoy one another's company.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.