Well our week started out pretty interesting I must say.
Yesterday, Struan went into work at about 4 am so he and Doug could get a broken part off of the equipment and get it fixed so we could be up and running. He came home about 6 saying they weren't able to get it apart so he was going to wait til the hardware store opened and grab a tool he thought might do the trick. Doug had an appointment in Minot so he would be going at it alone.
I got down to work about 9, and everything seemed fine. We had a few men and an engineer here looking at the elevator. There is a company next to us that is looking into buying our grain elevator (they are with the oil) but before they do they wanted to make sure it would work with their product. Struan was trying to be super man, working on getting the part off, and making sure he could answer all the questions the men had.
At about 10 o'clock he came to me telling me that he had a small fire, my first reaction was "Where's the fire extinguisher?" He said that he had one and that he was going to try and get some water so he could put it out.
About an hour later, he comes rushing in telling me that the fire has gotten lots bigger, then he precedes to call the fire department. I was very impressed within 5 min the firemen had shown up. Struan then walks into the office grabs Adeline and says that we need to get out. I gently had to remind him to grab the car seat. I then quickly threw my laptop and external hard drive (it contains ALL of Adeline's pictures ever taken) and walked out the door. I was probably a little slower than Struan liked but I have always told myself that was something I would always grab if I was in this situation. He had us get in the truck, then he drove us to a safe spot.
From where I was sitting I could see it all. I think they may have gone over the top (not sure if they were just excited because they hadn't had a fire in a while) but there were about 20 firemen, 3 firetrucks, and a police officer. Within an hour and a half they were able to get the fire out. Luckily the damage was minimal compared to what it could have been. So we will have to replace some equipment but other than that everything is fine.
I am so grateful we were all able to get out safely and that nobody was harmed. All in all it was a pretty stressful, emotional day! Adeline slept through it all. Crazy girl!
I am also grateful for Struan in making sure we were safe, and seeing that we were out of harms way. I guess I didn't realize how bad it was until he came in and calmly picked up Adeline. I am grateful he is the kind of person who can keep calm in crazy situations so that I am not panicked. He is so great in keeping me calm, and I am so thankful for him in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.