Lately my crafty bug has been itching like crazy! I wanted to do something but wasn't sure what! The past couple of weeks I've been stocking up like crazy with picture frames! We don't have a D.I. close by but Minot does however have at least 4 thrift stores! SCORE! :) I think Struan gets sick of visiting them each week, but I'm always afraid that if we don't go, I might miss out on my BIG find! :)
Pinterest has been my weakness lately! If you haven't been on their site, I highly suggest staying away or you will be sucked into the madness!! It's ADDICTING! So I have been looking at a few cute ideas on there for something to add to my front door. I wasn't exactly sure I wanted a wreath but then I found a really cute picture frame a lady had done! BINGO! That's what I wanted, of course I had to add my own touch!
Saturday Struan ended up having to work and all my house cleaning was done so I thought it was the perfect time to get started. I picked one of the frames I had picked up a few weeks ago and started painting.
Ok, so I actually forgot to take a picture before I started painting! Oops!! :( The frame was actually a dark brown and the light part a weird gold color! Not exactly my style! I decided to go with Black & White. I'm not exactly sure what my fascination with Black and White is but if I could do every room in my house with Black & White and an accent color I totally would!!
And this is what it looked like after 4 hours of off and on painting. Yes I know spray paint would have been so much quicker and easier, but I had a lot of time on my hands plus it was FUN!
I then decided the frame would be cute with a Welcome sign! So I created a sign on Picnik! I love this site, I don't know how I've ever lived without it! So here is what I came up with....
After putting all of that together I decided it just needed a little something more. I had read about making flowers (like the flower ones you are seeing EVERYWHERE) our of junk mail, newspaper, or just scrapbook paper. So I dug into one of my craft totes and found some old ugly scrapbook paper I knew I would NEVER use!
I cute the paper into strips, and tied a knot in the first strip. I then started twisting and hot gluing the paper. You can use hot glue, tacky glue, or just plain old Elmer's but with the heavy paper I was using I chose the hot glue. Then as you come to the end of the strip, you glue the next strip and keep twisting. You choose the size you like. I did two the same size and one big one. Here are the two small ones.....
After I finished creating the flowers, which took a little more time than I thought but hey it was a rainy day and all I was doing was watching Grey's Anatomy (one of my many weaknesses) I painted the flowers with acrylic paint. I chose a burgundy color that I had. I used a sponge brush to do the majority and then a thinner paint brush to get the creases.
Next I had to decide how to place them on the frame, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the top or bottom corner. Here is were texting comes in handy! I quickly took 2 pictures with the choices I was torn between and sent it to my mom. She then told me she liked the bottom, Struan did as well so bottom it was! I quickly hot glued them to the frame and here is what I got!
I was pretty proud of myself not going to lie! I will have to add a ribbon to hang and when it's up on my door I'll post that picture as well! Would you like to know the total of this cute little do dad!?
Frame $1.50
Paint Already Had
Sign Basically Free Except for the Ink
Scrapbook Paper: Free I think it was given to me
Yep you guessed it a whole $1.50 for this little craft! :) Can't beat that! I'm thinking that throughout the holidays that I will change the sign out! :)






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.